- 16 oz bottle (preferably clear)
- Baking Soda
- Measuring cups
- Use the funnel to pour 1/2 cup of white vinegar into the bottle. Rinse and dry the funnel.
- Use the funnel to put 1 tablespoon of baking soda into the bottom of the balloon. Shake gently to make sure all of the baking soda falls to the bottom.
- Stretch the open end of the balloon over the neck of the bottle and make sure it is secured tightly.
- Let the balloon hang over the side of the bottle so that no baking soda falls into the bottle just yet.
- Hold onto the neck of the bottle and carefully lift the balloon until you are holding it upright over the bottle. All of the baking soda should fall into the bottle.
- Watch what happens! Then take time to explore the reaction that is happening.
How does it work? When the baking soda and vinegar mix, it creates a chemical reaction that releases carbon dioxide. We know this because of the bubbles that form, similar to a carbonated beverage. The carbon dioxide then inflates the balloon.